- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Family meals comes first
- Irish beef stew
Irish beef stew
1.5kg/3lb 5oz Stewing beef, cut into cubes
175g/6oz Streaky bacon
3 tbsp Olive oil
12 Baby onions, peeled
18 Button mushrooms, left whole
3 Carrots, cut into quarters or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
1 tbsp Chopped thyme
2 tbsp Chopped parsley
10 cloves of garlic, crushed and grated
425ml/15fl oz Chicken or beef stock
For the roux
Champ, to serve
- Brown the beef and bacon in the olive oil in a hot casserole or heavy saucepan.
- Remove the meat and toss in the onions, mushrooms and carrots, one ingredient at a time, seasoning each time.
- Place these back in the casserole, along with the herbs and garlic.
- Cover with stock and simmer for one hour or until the meat and vegetables are cooked.
- To make the roux, in a separate pan melt the butter, add the flour and cook for two minutes.
- When the stew is cooked, remove the meat and vegetables.
- Bring the remaining liquid to the boil and add one tbsp of roux.
- Whisk the mixture until the roux is broken up and the juices have thickened, allowing to boil.