- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Slow cook to perfection
- Braised soy, ginger & honey beef
Braised soy, ginger & honey beef
1 tbsp oil
1 large onion, chopped
800 g beef chuck steak, fat trimmed
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
2 cups steamed basmati rice
4 cups sliced mixed vegetables eg. red capsicum, carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli, cauliflower, baby corn.
- Heat large non-stick frying pan. Add half the oil and cook onion until softened. Place in saucepan or flameproof casserole dish. Heat remaining oil and brown beef in two batches over high heat. Add cinnamon and Chinese 5-spice and stir to combine. Place in saucepan along with soy sauce, oyster sauce, honey, ginger, garlic and ½ cup (125ml) water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours or until tender. Remove lid and increase heat to reduce and thicken sauce if necessary.
- Steam or microwave vegetables until just tender. Sprinkle braised beef with coriander and serve with steamed rice and the vegetables.
- Cook in slow-cooker as an alternative. Follow slow-cooker instructions for timing.