- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Winner winner meat dinner
- Beef casserole with capsicums and black olives
Beef casserole with capsicums and black olives
1 kg chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red capsicum, chopped
1 green capsicum, chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
3 cups beef stock
0.25 cup tomato paste
1-2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
4 sprigs fresh thyme or small sprigs of rosemary or parsley
0.75 cup black olives
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut beef into 2.5cm-3cm cubes. Season with salt and pepper, add 2 tbsp oil, and mix well. Heat a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Brown the beef in 2 or 3 batches. Remove each batch and place in casserole dish.
- Reduce heat in the pan, add a little oil, add onion, garlic and capsicums, cook for 12 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated. Gradually pour in stock and add the tomato paste, stirring well. Add the herbs, stir until the mixture boils. Add to the casserole dish with the olives, stir to combine. Cover the casserole dish, place in oven, and cook until the beef is very tender. Stir every 40 minutes or so, add water if needed to keep the ingredients just covered.
- Cooktop method: Place the browned beef and other ingredients in a heavy-based pot. Partially cover, keep the heat low. Simmer until the meat is very tender. Stir occasionally; add water or stock if needed during the cooking time to keep ingredients well covered.
- Use a casserole pot that's heavy-based and deep-sided. Look for one that you can use on the cook-top, as well as in the oven.
- Beef casserole cuts and approximate cooking times: Chuck or boneless shin/gravy beef - 2 to 2½ hours Topside, round, blade - 1 to 1½ hours